PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Desperate to go overseas
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 05:28
V1... Ooops

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JSF:

I am guessing that you will be looking for employment as a pilot if you venture abroad.

Be aware that it is not particularly easy to convert a pilot licence from one country (e.g. America) to the equivalent licence, with full privileges, from another country. The process can be slow, usually involves writing tests, may involve attending some classes, and will certainly involve checkrides.

If you had a particular skill that was in high demand (e.g. you happened to have 1,000 hours PIC on an Airbus 380), your prospective employer would undertake to do all the paperwork, pay all the money, set up the tests and checkrides and so forth. But, it is unlikely that anyone will be willing to do that for you, because it is highly probable that an employer can find someone with the same credentials and skill-set in their own country.

I wish I could provide you with a more optimistic answer, but honestly, unless you have some other unique qualifications that you have not disclosed (e.g. you are fluently multilingual, or you have a passport from a second country, etc.) I think you will have a difficult (and expensive) time finding employment as a pilot in another country. The only possible exception would be if someone needs an American-licenced pilot to fly an N registered aircraft in a foreign country - but even then, you would have to deal with work permits and other matters that are not directly related to aviation.

But - good luck anyway!