PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worth Doing an Instructor Rating during Credit Crunch???
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 01:57
SpannerInTheWerks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me the big advantages are: - Keeping current, building hours constructively, seriously honing the flying skill's, getting myself near the top of the pile when things pick up for a TP job, earning some (although little) money, having another string to the bow, make some new contacts, have some fun flying (Might be slightly morbid but stalls and PFL's are great fun to me!)
Heaven forbid that teaching a student to fly well, enjoy themselves and fly safely would appear on anybody's list of 'advantages'!

Just the type of instructors flying clubs don't really need.

Flying instructing at PPL level never was meant to be a career for the multitude of budding commercial pilots - although it has for many, including myself, been a means of gaining hours at a low cost. I did at least put effort into the job and spent many hours teaching ground subjects on non-flying days and in the winter evenings. I was best man at the wedding of one of my students - he at least appreciated the effort I put in!!!

People seem to have lost track of the flying club mentality and see flying instructing as a somewhat selfish means of achieving their own ends at the expense of someone else - whether that be the flying school and/or the student.

That said, I would recommend anyone to complete an FI course - just remember, as with any teaching job, you're there for the student, not yourself!

KR

SITW