PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unknown PNG Airstrips?
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2002, 04:27
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Photo 1`MIGHT be Pindiu in the Monghi Valley.........WHAT IS TOBOU........there wasn't a Tobou in the Monghi in 89?

There was Siwea, Lenghbati, Masa,Makini, Mindik, Pindiu, Ognerang and Nomanengneng under coonstruction

I rather suspect Photo two is Teterbedi which is behind Mount Lamington.

Vege those portions of Rabaul which were destroyed, i.e. from the airport right through Malay Town and on up to the Hamamas Hotel and around the waterfront almost to the wreck wharf have not been rebuilt. The exceptions being the Travelodge, Kaivuna and Hamamas Hotels. Nowhere that was destroyed is insurable anymore.

My house was in Malay Town on Vulcan Ave opposite Tee C Wee st.......the lump in the ash in front of my place is a car and my boat is on the bottom of the harbour somewhere off the Rabaul Yacht Club jetty.......what really hurts though is losing a life time of photo albums and all my autographed copies of the Balus books. My diving gear was saved because I'd been diving all day on the sunday and so when we evacuated on very early monday morning they were at hand as I went out my front door.

For some unknown reason I grabbed my logbooks and my daughters photo albums but left mine behind

The scuba diving on the WW2 wrecks in Rabaul was soooooo good.........in fact I'm the last person to dive the Hakai Maru and probably the Kensin Maru as well.......on the Sunday afternoon...we had 3 or 4 earthquakes while we were inside the Hakai and a couple of rippers while on the deco stops

Chuckles.