PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SCMP article re: local v expat terms
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 23:33
Midnight Oil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not know what goes on in CX but if you find yourself going from flying piston bug smashers to sitting in command of a KA Airbus while still in your twenties then you should realise that this is not because you have more talent, skill or maturity than everyone else (no, really…).

The reason is because you made a Faustian pact. You jump the queue and get a job with KA on the basis that you have a HKG ID card. You do this with qualifications and experience that would otherwise cause your application to be thrown in the bin (most of the guys on my intake were 737 captains, the rest had extensive jet transport experience).

In return for the meteoric rise, you have to agree to a contract, which forgoes expat allowances.

When you make a deal with the devil you cannot complain about the terms later.

Oh, and while I am at it, I wonder how many of those “pseudo locals “ would perform if they had to go through the full KA cadet selection process and compete with the other local cadets on an equal basis? How many would be found lacking if they were held up to the same rigorous academic and skills test standards?