PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auto Throttles.
Thread: Auto Throttles.
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 18:59
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Pprune Friends -
xxx
Nearly 20 years ago, an acquaintance in California invited me for a ride in his DC-3, and told me to sit in the RH seat. I flew it straight and level for about 5-10 minutes or so, but would not have had a clue as to what to do if he became incapacitated...! Bunch of handles and gages I did not know...!
xxx
Last year, I rode one of our A-340 to Barcelona, and was in the cockpit for takeoff and landing, and spent an hour in cruise "completely lost" as to all the toys to be found. Again, would the pilots have been incapacitated, I would have impressed myself to find the "press to talk" switch (if any), and with my luck, disconnected the autoflight systems, with no hope to recover.
xxx
What is this...? Generation gap, definitely. Add to this a severe case of alzheimer, and advanced senility. I guess those of you kids who play with FS Microsoft simulators at home would know more about how to fly a A-340 than me. Oh - stop it... I could read the altimeter...
xxx
Leave me in my passenger seat, in the cabin, enjoying wines and lobster, and the smile of the few flight attendants who did not forget my name. Oh, do not worry, I keep my Super Cub VFR type rating current. I could even finance line training in it, and its FMC is not beyond my IQ level. Will ask if an auto-throttle is an option on L-21s, I might install one, you guys made me jealous.
xxx
All the best to the new generation.

Happy contrails