PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auto Throttles.
Thread: Auto Throttles.
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 18:08
AutoAbort

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually I did my intial training on the DC8 when I joined SAS. Unfortunately only the simulator. Would have loved to fly the real airplane because it was a joy to fly. BUT I think most of us agree that there is no way back to the technology of those days, and if you are suggesting that todays aircraft systems have evolved in a not so optimum way and are leaving the pilot out of the loop maybe it is becoming a nostalgic trip? Evolution is going on as we speek. A380 shows vertical profile on ND, cameras for external view, more composite materials, Entertainment systems omboard are lightyears from before, Datalink is used more and more for communication. Others are experimenting with synthetic vision, airborne radar to detect clear air turbulence. I have heard rumours about Auto takeoff! Free flight will come and by then the "pilot" will probably have to accept a computer generated ATC scenario displayed on the aircraft screens and we just watch and monitor, but i am sure he can still do a manual ILS if necessary, without any problem. Maybe it is not as "fun" as earlier days but the public, economy,safety and the society will demand such as system to make it work at all when we are 12 bilion people who all want to travel to the other side of the world to get some variation to their normal summer vacation week on the Canary Islands. Am I worried about the future? He## NO I am eagerly looking forward to it and will enjoy every step of progress and try to adapt to it.
On the other hand I love to visit Aviaion museums as well.

rgrds to all

AutoAbort