PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auto Throttles.
Thread: Auto Throttles.
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 17:54
EpsilonVaz

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
downwindabeam, I don't think anyone is saying that it's a "problem", Instead, that A/T can free up mental capacity to do other jobs, especially is you are fatigued, and this increases overall operational safety. At the end of the day, a safe operation is what you are employed to perform.

I am not condoning loss of handling skill, I believe that it is prudent to practice handling at every opportunity you get, as long as it is safe to do so. In cases where you are tired on a 4th sector, and other things are going on (ie, cabin not ready, etc.), A/T is a welcome feature to help you perform your operation. Of course, if for some reason the A/T was inop, you should still be able to deal with it all without issue. Safety first, not ego, or "tradition". I drive an automatic car because for me, it's function is to get me from A to B in comfort and least hassle possible. Some people prefer manual cars because they enjoy the more "hands on" experience. I am not employed to enjoy my job (however I do thoroughly), I am paid to get paying passengers from A to B safely and efficiently, any feature that enhances my ability to do that, is more than welcome. Of course, none of that is any excuse to let your manual competence degrade.

On a separate note, I do plan to start some aerobatics lessons shortly, as I really did enjoy the "real hands on flying" experience.