PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Schools
Thread: Flying Schools
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 14:57
eltonioni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An old girlfriend once said that it doesn't matter as long as you go in something that fits.

There's good advice up there about choosing carefully. It's also worth bearing in mind the amount of time you will spend on the ground at larger airfields - with the money clock ticking. If going pro then I wouldn't be too bothered about the social side, but then you'll be wanting fast and cheap too if it's just a stepping stone.

Don't worry too much about the aeroplanes as long as they are servicable. I learned (and still fly) some old dogs but they were cheap, properly maintained (and therefore available) my instructor had 11k hrs glider & SEP and the club has two CAA examiners on the staff which is worth bearing in mind when the time comes.

I'd recommend SAC at Nethers every day because it met all my needs and hopefully keeps me reasonably sharp when there's just over <500m of sloping grass, but I've flown with Sheffield Flying Club at Sheffield and I still use their a/c at Doncaster - nice people though the big airport is a real drudge.

Sandtoft is ok (SFC again), but they only have two concrete runways and I find the place a little bit odd to be honest. That might just be me though seeing as I'm a bit odd too.

Sherburn is like a bigger version of Nethers but it's a bit of a drag to get up there even if they do have those shiney AT3's. They are closed Mondays I believe.