PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHI Crash in Louisiana Jan 2009 - 8 Dead, 1 Injured
Old 1st Mar 2009, 12:21
Hilife

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Sikorsky system is a fudge that only makes up for the fact the C++ FDR does not meet the JAR-OPS 3 requirements - they only realised there was a requirement after the first aircraft went to the UK.
Not true I’m afraid. The operator queried the minimum requirements with the relevant AA and was informed in writing all was in order as spec’d. I believe that as a result of the Copterline accident the requirements were changed - Post delivery. The operator was informed of this and a solution needed to be identified by the OEM.

I’m not aware of any platform manufacturer that builds CVR’s or FDR’s, so a vender unit that meets current airworthiness requirements is offered as a baseline or customer option. OPS regulations change over time, so what is good today might not necessarily be good tomorrow.

As has been suggested on this thread, there is a fix currently installed, although I believe the STC is still awaiting approval pending final tweaks?