PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auto Throttles.
Thread: Auto Throttles.
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 11:55
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink DC-ATE

You have my entire sympathy with your arguments against the generation of adepts of auto-thrust and other forms of "push-button magic" aircraft systems. And like you, I recently did hang my hat and uniform to log LH "Rocking Chair" time from my balcony on a lovely beach.
xxx
Funny is, when you and I started flying with airlines, we had to have very similar disagreements with our, then captains, who painfully had transitioned from their DC-6/7 or L-1049 to our B-707 and 727s. (I was PanAm). With a smile, I recall some captains who held their hands grabbed on the thrust levers (they called "throttles") through the entire takeoff roll and initial climb. Removing hands from thrust, at V1...? Anatheme...! They would even call the climb thrust reduction "METO POWER". So, what do we look like to today's intellectuals of automation in the cockpits... Can they really "fly" a plane...?
xxx
My last airplane type was the old 747 Classic... 1989-2008, which had auto-land and auto-thrust capability. As to using these, was rather unusual, except if engineering-maintenance wanted us to check the operational status of these toys. I rarely used "German" automation technology ("OTTO" approaches), as we, in South America much prefer "MANUEL" practice, to just verify that we still deserve our pilot proficiency status and currency... Unfortunately, I firmly believe that a few recent accidents would have been avoided, would the crew have elected to fly their machines by hand.
xxx
I would love to subject today's fATPL-clad kids going through a SIM P/C, say in a DC8-63 (I flew these as well) in a "quick-and-dirty" 20 minutes check, with a mere...
(1) First takeoff, engine failure nš 4 at V1 - to
(2) 3-engine hand-flown ILS down to 100' DH - to
(3) Missed approach with ENG FIRE on nš 3 - to
(4) 2-engine NDB, 10 kts XWIND with "lenient" visual conditions at 500' above TDZE.
xxx
I would tell him - "parking brake ON - you passed..."
Is it not the way we could do...?
No need to verify your qualifications in selecting the OTTO-pilot.
Certain, guys with Rosenbalm or Kalitta were able to do it, with colors.
xxx
Best regards -

Happy contrails