PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Hero" pilot's pay cut, pension stopped
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 11:40
Me Myself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having said that, I don’t doubt that talented individuals want to join the profession, but how long will they stay ? Many newbies don’t know what a commercial job is really like. How long will it continue to attract the numbers it does now ? I think there are limits to how much they will wish to effectively subsidise ticket prices. Perceptions are still very much stuck some years ago.
You're right but then what do you do with yourself when you have spent 15 years in the airline business. Jump out ? Easier said than done as, even if the pay conditions are not what they used to be anymore, it still remains an attractive package ( in the majors anyway ) and you'll never get this kind of money elsewhere. You'd have to have another qualification anyway. In short, you'll always find loads of young chaps wanting to get in and wanting to get out...............once it's too late. That's how aircrafts will keep flying while engineers make them safer and safer.
If Sully had crashed, well it wouldn't have been a big deal in the end ( according to bean counters ). One would have come up with a lame explanation along the following lines " it could happen one in a trillion " and everyone would have moved on. I know it sounds very cynical but it's the truth.
It is just history at work and nothing can be done and that's why a.....s like O'Leary will have no trouble finding jokeys to fly their airplanes with the perk of treating them like dung.