PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 07:47
Safety Concerns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the victorians out there.

The AOA's were not u/s as such. They were forced into a fixed position by yet to be explained actions. So what fault exactly will the comparators pick up hardcore?

For the victorians out there with minds firmly locked closed I will say it again slowly.

The aircraft found itself in a dangerous situation due to a poorly planned test/handover programme. The tests were just like any other tests for any other airplane since the wright flyer.

Additionally and unbeknown to the crew there was a problem with 2 from 3 AOA vanes in as much as they were in a fixed position.

The events that then followed the situation, approaching stall, AOA's fixed by external interference but not faulty would have also happened to any aircraft since the wright flyer.

The only comment you can make about the autotrim is that it did its job just the same as any other autotrim since the wright flyer but there are possibly question marks as to why it wasn't used manually.

The automation played absolutely no role in this and posters like smilin ed and dc8 just highlight their ignorance by asking such ridiculous questions as:

But, in a totally analog aircraft, or an FBW aircraft with a viable alternative system totally unrelated to the primary system, you could kick out the offending system with the punch of one button and fly out of danger. Obviously, they didn't have that option and my contention is they should.
So how exactly ed do you determine which from the 3 serviceable systems are u/s? Furthermore had you listened at school let alone read and understood what has been written here you can deselect any faulty AOA sensor.

This comment of yours ed proves you are no longer living in the real world

I spent 14 years evaluating the flying qualities and performance of aircraft. I also investigated several accidents in which colleagues died. With the data we have so far, I believe that there needs to be an alternative to back up FBW systems.
The secret of becoming an an excellent effective accident investigator is an emotionless but open minded approach.
You show neither quality

DC 8 and smilin ed, you need to go back to aeropru and birgenair and read and fully understand what happened on those analogue aircraft. Yes they did crash.

Once you have read and understood what took place then come back here and tell me how the excel crew should have known that 2 from 3 AOA sensors were in a fixed position?

Once you have worked that one out, then add the poor planning of a critical test manouvre and you may get nearer to the real cause. Multiple Human error. It started on the ground and tragically terminated in the air.

Same scenario with all sorts of aicraft would have ended in the same way. Its tragic, but the root cause is human error.