PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British & Dutch Plane Spotters sentenced
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2002, 20:54
Lon More

More than just an ATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The biggest crime they committed was one of stupidity in believing that they would enjoy the same freedom there as they do in the U.K. These guys paid a considerable sum to pursue their hobby and often have an inflated opinion of their own worth
Many places in the "civilised" world still have restrictions on photography. I can remember signs at EGGW saying that it was forbidden to photograph aircraft. I think it is still forbidden in, e.g. the Netherlands, to make aerial photos without a licence.
Greece may be part of NATO but relations with Turkey are. to put it mildly, strained, making them almost paranoid about security and, as in most countries, the first contact they will make will be with MPs who are not known for intelligence and sensitivity. It was only neccesary for one person to take a photo after a request is made to stop or make a silly comment and as my old man used to say, "Yer feet won't touch."
Once a decision has been made the entire military machine will close ranks behind them and the whole affair takes on a life of its own. If you think face is important to orientals you don't know much about the military mindset.
Back in the 70's an Irish Controller working at Maastricht spent 6 months in a Belgian Jail for telling the MPs to "Fark off" when instructed to stop photographing. His defence was that he was outside the airfield, however the fence was built about 3m. inside the boundary; he could have been out in a couple of hours but refused to grovel and insisted on his "Rights".
If you think something like this couldn't happen in the U.K. I suggest you go find a manned police speed trap, drive through it at double the limit, giving the police the finger and when finally stopped be exceedingly rude. By the time they finish you won't even have a dog licence.