PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SCMP article re: local v expat terms
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 04:50
quadspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supply and demand?

Removing all expat allowances will leave this airline where? The CX baseline pay in HK, after 16% tax, is still better than most European, North-American and Auzzie airlines offer. So would we still get the number of crews we need if we cut allowances?

The answer is a definitive yes, but we'd no longer be able to tempt the number of suitable, experiences guys with clean records from other airlines and airforces back home. In good times, the majority guys we'd get would be the rejects from the rest of the civilized world; guys who couldn't get hired with the majors back home and need to search the world like nomads trying to get hired by someone; anyone. Most of us wouldn't be here without the expat allowance is fair to say.

The wheels would certainly keep spinning for a while, but the 3rd floor knows the leverage of expat allowance; otherwise they'd have cut it long ago. I relocated from my friends and family and joined Cathay Pacific because the total package offered was better than my status quo. Which was already pretty good. And if a better package comes along some day, I'll pack my bags again.

Which is exactly what LEPs should do. Cadetships are a double-edged sword, no doubt about it. If you're old enough to receive one, then you're old enough to make that decision. Otherwise, go abroad, build your hours, and take your chances. More risk should provide more reward.

Now, is the price cadets pay for their sponsorship too high? Absolutely. It's insane. Half pay for an entire 35 year career? Yes, there should be a price to pay for cadetships, but it should also be reasonable. And on that point, the HKAOA should fight for LEPs.