PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Plane crash in Shepparton.
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2009, 03:10
ozaggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plane crash/ death of pilot.

Not an Aerobatic pilot, just an old aggie, with lots of time on radial engines. Those engines will run all day at 75% pwr, but you cannot horse them around. Set power, work, then land. Anyone that has driven a 985 or 1340 will tell you that abrupt increases in power setting will flame out the engine,(yeah, I know, its a piston engine), but it will happen. So, perhaps it happened right at the time that Pip needed the power. It should be remembered that this was a relatively new airframe with limited pilot experience on type. I take absolutely nothing away from Pip, having met him several times, but we all need to remember that we work in the second most challenging environment known to man, and that you can never under-estimate the laws of gravity and combustion. I trust that no-one will find this post offensive, but there needs to be some balance to help all of us to learn from this tragedy..... Vale Pip, you touched my soul with your rhetoric when I most needed it, and for that I am eternally thankful. The most challenging is the sea or your mother/father-in-law

Last edited by ozaggie; 1st Mar 2009 at 03:13. Reason: shit grammar