PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auto Throttles.
Thread: Auto Throttles.
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2009, 18:07
Flaperon777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been flying a commercial jet before i could legally buy a beer.And about the same time as I could drive a car!
A decent ILS or CANPA approach flown 'manually' ie without an A/P or A/T is probably the most economical approach,besides being a very comfortable one( both for the PM and the invaluable passenger,who pays for the bread on out tables ).When i say 'flown manually',I of course mean flown manually by a competent pilot with average flying skills.My first airplane as PIC was the 732.And I think I have still to experience a similar joy of flying.Never spilt a drop off of the full coffee mug we sipped during our landings.And then,ever since its been the 733,734,735,320,321,738,739,739ER,300-600R,744 and now the 777(all versions).All as PIC.And most as a trainer.DC-ATE said he felt uncomfortable due to the constant hunting of the engines.SURE,he's damn right.I FOR ONE feel the same...!! He must be sitting in a 777! Whilst I can confidently say that the 777 IS god's gift to the pilot,it does have its quirks.The 734 had 22k engines,320-24k,738-26k,744-53k.But the 777 has 115K GIANTS for engines my friend! Imagine a less than perfect pilot flying a manual(no A/P but WITH A/T) ILS in less than perfect conditions in a 733/4.And then imagine the same in a 777.Engine respone to his imperfections in terms of pitch adjustments and/or speed loss and gain would be far far quicker in the 733 than in the 777.Mass of airplane AND engine bypass ratio and therby engine response/spool up time alone will dictate that agility of the A/T system in correcting the anomaly,therby minimising the need to constantly 'hunt' for the desired speed/pitch.
Now,couple the same A/T with the A/P on both airplanes.You will notice a WORLD of a difference.No hunting,no lagging.Cause the same computers that give the input to the A/P to follow an ILS for example,give the same input to both the A/T's via the EEC's within the same nano second!No discrepancy,no lag,and no hunt.....!! Net result pax comfort and a PM with lower BP after touchdown.
Wanna do a great job of smoothening out your slight imperfections on the ILS?? Fly the manual approach WITHOUT the A/T.Use manual thrust instead.You'll notice a marked improvement.But as soon as you go automatic,use FULL automatics and revert to your role as 'Manager'. Leave the 'Pilot' at home.
That's the trick I try and use as often as I can.Unfortunately my company SOP's dictate the use of the 777 A/T system.And I shan't argue with that ever! Follow the SOP's to the T and you shall live to be the cliched 'Old,bold pilot'.....Now THAT'S my mantra for you guys out there.
And watch those BRT's for bird ingestion(s)......!! ...