PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 28th Feb 2009, 17:41
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
T4,

I sent DB a PM and recounted a procedure you laid out and noted I have flown for an operator that did just what you say except we used a constant airspeed vice increasing it for wind as you suggest.

It was a boring practice.....and repetitive almost to an extreme when shuttling but I would suggest that is what we are seeking....BOREDOM on every flight.

From a safety standpoint....it works.

From a training standpoint....it works.

From a standardization standpoint....it works.

Add in the use of what technology is available for determining height, distance to run, flight track, rate of closure, obstacle clearance and then let the Autopilot do its thing until the very last......and we shall see a real decrease in soiled undies and lost aircraft.

We used a 1.5nm/300 foot height for our gate and maintained Vy until we intercepted the desired glide path angle then decreased speed to Vtoss until committed to landing and then LDP was called. NFP called distance to run, height, and airspeed and monitored the guy flying. The "Call the Ball....I got the deck....starting down" call was confirmed by the monitoring pilot.

You and DB have sound ideas and should be given a fair hearing when you propose them to your boss fellahs.

I just hope the Training and Standards Mafia will open their minds to outside ideas and not respond with the typical "NIH" reaction....that being "Not Invented Here!".

Even a very old French Pilot I knew in the Dark Ages used the Sperry Helipilot system to good advantage as he wished not to drop lower than he should on takeoff and elected to trim a slight nose up attitude prior to rotation for takeoff....and that was clear back in the old days when the Helipilot (less Flight Director) was considered Star Wars kit!

Hand flying is just way over rated by some.....punching buttons and twisting knobs is the way to Salvation now days!