PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 28th Feb 2009, 16:35
T4 Risen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DB
I for one am all for an improved/safer profile for night flying, we do not do enough of it on a regular basis in Aberdeen (i know Scatsta and SNS do alot more and are therefore better trained for it).

Points.
1."It is also clear in the CAA Offshore sector, that once a descent has commenced VMC, there are no further rules to prevent the crew from descending as low as they like."

It is my understanding that decending VMC day or night does have not below limits, certainly does in our OM and in the event that enroute you cannot becom VMC at these limits then an ARA must be conducted.

2."Finally we need to control the entry speeds for such a procedure. There are plenty of options but how about "Established at MDH, into wind @ 1.5Nm @Vy" as an absolute minimum."

Take Vy in 332L 70Kts against a 45 Kt headwind on finalls which is not unusual on the North Sea. Your ground speed would be 25Kts. I have found that there is more chance of people becoming disorientated with low ground speed trucking in from a long distance because your visual cues and depth perseption are not as good at night.....would suggest a ground speed equivilant to Vy that way you always have the same rate of closure and each approach would be similar instead of the possability of varying closing speeds in diffferent wind conditions.

My simple solution IMHO would be 1 nm 500' 70 Kts ground speed/ Vy until you have the sight picture , Ball, What ever you want to call it. From there a controlled and monitored approach to the deck Any large changes in Speed Height ROD should immediatley be called by NHP. If this procedure was followed day or night then you would have the same sight picture every time. It would not be the most expeditious approach but certainly safer.

Coming of an ARA.... then change the minima of the ARA to 1nm 500' followed by a visual approach following the above. (or if not visual a turn 45 degrees away and climb to MESA) Instead of offsetting 10 degrees at 1.5 nm and having the rig offest by 15 degrees the rig should appear at 1 nm right in front therefore no need for a turn at .75 nm to get you back on the correct sight picture.

Same procedure day or night..... means easier to teach, easy to follow and, yes it might mean a bit more time in the air for the Oil companies and the odd lost/ adhoc flight ( lets face it they can afford it!!)but would lead to a safer environment.

thoughts?
T4