PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 28th Feb 2009, 15:49
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
HELCOMPARITER

I know they wer not on an ARA and that is not the point of my procedure. The point is, by flying a pre-defined, stabilised approach, VMC or otherwise, they key change that needs to be made is moved the CTB further back and higher, so that a stable airspeed can be mainatined until FULL visual refrences are obtained, these being, the fully developed rugby ball.

To illustrate the point, drwa a line at approx 7- -9 degrees up and away from the helideck. (The angle that the rugby ball is present)

Now draw the flight path intesections at 50 foot above the deck and 200 feet above the deck.

Now decide at what airpseed you need to be at to make a stable final descent to the deck.

I would suggest that at 50 feet ADH (which isless than 1/2 the LDP of 130 feet/35 knots groundspeed, for a CAT A Helipad, (AS332L2) - try to imagine what your airspeed might be, especially in benign goldfish bowl conditions we all know exist with slack winds and no moonlight. It is airspeed (of lack it) that leads to instability.

As regards boats, yes there may need to be some work done but ideally we want a procedure that is simple and fits all cases, if that can be achieved.

400 feet above the sea for a boat is what I currently teach line pilots to do and it works fine.

Also why not "Call the Ball" it says exactly what it means. (We can abbreviate if to "CTB" if you like).

KEY COMPONENTS ARE:

DEFINED FLIGHT PROFILE leading to:
DEFINED INTERVENTION PARAMETERS providing:
STABLE AIRSPEED UNTIL FULLY VISUAL REFERENCES ARE IN PLACE (CTB) provinding:
A SAFE FLIGHT REGIME and a:
CULTURE OF COMPLIANCE.

Thanks for your input.

DB