PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 28th Feb 2009, 15:19
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
DB,

Sounds reasonable to me...but just one question.

For those aicraft fitted with couplers, the use of the coupler during this procedure should be mandatory (forget the argument for when it is broken the MEL says VFR only).
Now what if we put one of the antique 76's next to a brand spanking new one with all the toys.....why is the new limited to VFR without the coupler and the Antique is not?

Are you suggesting only coupled machines should be out there in the dark?

As anyone knows....there is a lot of black in front of the wind screen between take off and CTB....no matter whether you are in a coupled or non-coupled machine.

Think back to the North Scottish guys doing this single pilot in BO-105's and Bristow doing it with S-58T's and 212's without autopilots using the old style Decca. It can be done.....but it does produce a lot of white hair!

You notice a nearly universal appreciation for what the Bond crew was facing that night and those that have walked in their shoes are very supportive and to the person state they have had very similar experiences shy of hitting the water! I for one stand in their corner on this one and know except for a train load of luck it did not happen to me while doing such work.