PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Itchy and Scratchy in Karachi
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2002, 17:20
prang one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itchy and scratchy in Karachi

Going back to my Uni days appart from flying and drinking I did a paper on this very subject.
I can not remember the exact details but this is the best I can offer??

Continued us of Anti Malaria drugs is not good for your body. In fact they are just a lower dose of the same drug that will be used to TRY and kill the parasite if you get it. These drugs are very toxic thus one hopes they kill one of the 5 forms of Malaria that kills humans , but your kidney/liver does not like it much .

As stated above resistance is caused by continued/bad use of anti malarials. Post WW2 has seen a growning rise in resistance which is now at a peak with the wonder drugs of the WHO Meflaquine,cloriqunin,quinine ect are all but ineffective even in the treatment stage were high doses are used. Malaria is thus one of the prime problems of the WHO in this day and age.

So what to do ?
Drink plenty of GnTs with dare I say it more tonic

Good use of Bed nets and bug shirts. Wash these items in a high solution of DEET and dont rinse. Thus they will not even like to land on the nets.
And of course bug juice with a high conc of DEET.

As for ATPL I have no idea . I have never heared of anybody lossing there med for having malaria or taking anti malarial drugs.
However liver and kidney problems could be an issue

Sorry about the speljing and I hope the info helps