PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propellors on DC6/7, Stratocruiser, Constellation & Britannia
Old 28th Feb 2009, 08:50
Tempsford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merv,
Remember the blue and red oil tubes for the prop PCM? one
pipe was LHT and the other right hand thread. You sure did need to hold the two lower prop blades steady whilst the prop was being placed/removed from the dolly. Carrying the PCM to/from the prop using that large spanner was interesting if there was any oil on the access stand. I don't think I have ever worked on an aircraft where we did so many prop/engine changes on a regular basis. I can remember 3 engine changes on one a/c in one night. As apprentices we were given the task of taking the props apart, removing the anti-ice mats, paint stripping the blades, removing the lead core balance weights and then rebuilding the prop assembies. Good experience for young lads. When the PCM had been fitted the usual call was 'who has the grub screw?'. Usually the screw driver slot was mangled so it was a good idea to have some spares in your toolbox. Once the prop was fitted, feathering checks and after that the need to drain the oil from the sump and put it back into the oil tank (we sometimes used to do that at night with the engine still running and prop feathered!- not very H&S!) The airport fire brigade was used when asked to help us try and get the engine torque in limits by spraying water down the intake during EGR to clean the compressor blades.
I can also remember the significant variation in the location of certain switches in the flight deck for different Britannias. The flight deck layout was not standard.
One time I saw the strength of a Brit prop was when an a/c arrived on stand and the guy putting the steps on the L2 Door drove to the door (engines still running), and then ATC asked the pilot move a bit more onto stand. The #2 prop then proceed to 'eat' the steps.

Temps