PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 28th Feb 2009, 08:46
Special 25

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thought it might be appropriate to have a quick thought for everything that went right in this recent accident, and how the developments generated by previous North Sea incidents probably accounted for the fact that no lives were lost ........

AFDS - Floats deployed just as expected - And remained inflated until the aircraft was recovered. Their automatic deployment almost certainly ensured that the aircraft remained upright without which I think the outcome could have been very different.

Wet Dinghy Drills - I personally appreciate every opportunity to go to Nutec every three years, whilst I know some may consider it a chore. Whilst it is a nice warm pool in good light, I'm sure the experience as far as it goes, assisted with the text-book evacuation of the aircraft at night in the North Sea. Well done to crew and pax on completing this difficult task without injury given such a sudden and extraordinary situation.

JIGSAW - The investment in Jigsaw has proven its worth within the first five years. The combined efforts of the helicopter and particularly the Fast Response boat (ARCC) I think proved the concept that I know took a lot of effort to get off the ground. Had the surface vessel picked up casualties, the advantage of having the helicopter on scene within minutes (rather than over an hour away) would have proved itself further.

And I dare say, many, many more !!

I'm sure we will be focusing a lot on what went wrong over the coming months, and that is right and correct and we'll all hopefully learn something from it. But its important to remember that following the uncertain series of events last wednesday, a lot went right, and we need to be thankful to those in the industry that brought together these safety systems that contributed to the successful outcome.