PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 28th Feb 2009, 05:47
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simulation to the rescue

Q, How do you keep the skills essential to handling the transition from IMC to VMC, from coupled to uncoupled flight, sharp?
A. I wish I could say that a good level D sim is the answer but regretably we are not quite there yet but we are working on getting the visuals right so that this becomes a valuable tool in these circumstances. We CAN provide a very useable environment in which to polish your protocols and SOPs but that last little bit, after the aquisition of the target in marginal vis is going to be tough to get right.

In the absence of 'real' night conditions we can offer something at least. When we introduced the Limited Vis Approach to Aberdeen arrivals in the early 80s we had a 28 day shelf-life for the LVA qualification. You had to requal in the sim every 28 days. Maybe that pathway offers a partial solution.

It has been my experience that most training I received in the sim focussed on either the 'visual at DA' scenario or the 'not visual, go-around at DA' scenario and passed over the opportunity to test me in the tricky 'visual but am I visual enough' scenario. It had a profound effect on my thinking as I now include that in my lessons. It has presented some very interesting Human Factors moments - I can recommend it.

G.