PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some unity on paying for Type Ratings and line training?
Old 28th Feb 2009, 00:51
Flintstone

Originally Posted by Philpaz
....an SSTR is just another take on the bond system really. Your (sic) paying either way.
How so?

SSTR. Pilot/cadet pays up front.

Bond. Pilot/cadet agrees to reimburse company on a pro-rata basis if they leave. Don't leave, don't pay. I've had three type ratings this way and it's not cost me a penny. My salary was the same as those of people who joined with a type rating so actually I've not paid.

Originally Posted by The Mixmaster
It amazes me that experienced pilots consistently make posts on PPRuNe claiming that it's the wannabes' fault for letting the self sponsored TR become the norm. You people need to take a long hard look at yourselves and the responsibility YOU in conjunction with BALPA have in protecting the industry for future generations.
That's the problem with generalisations, they are often easy to prove wrong. I've never paid for a TR, quite the opposite, so how have I contributed to the problem? On the other hand you now have pilots in the sytem who bought their TR/jobs. Now, if you said they owed the current crop of wannabees a helping hand I'd agree with you. They contributed to the SSTR timebomb, they should help sort it out.

I think though that you'll find that by their very nature many of those who ignored the consequences of their actions when they paid for their TR probably don't give a toss about those struggling now. Try pinning one of them down and asking what help they'll give. I did. Nearly two weeks ago I asked a RYR FO on here what he'd do to help new cadets avoid paying for a TR. Still waiting for the spineless bugger to answer.