PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auto Throttles.
Thread: Auto Throttles.
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2009, 21:35
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I fly the B717, my first type with auto throttle.

For approach, say from 1500' AAL or thereabouts, when configuring for landing is usually complete, my hand is on the throttles moving with it, and if it wants to reduce power due to low level wind effects and I don't want it to, I resist the movement.

On take off, once the auto pilot is engaged my hand comes off the throttle, and sits on my knee, ready to intervene if necessary.

Originally Posted by DC-ATE
I've never flown an aircraft with auto throttles, but have ridden in the back when they've been used. How do I know? The engines were forever 'hunting' to maintain speed. Most annoying. I could tell it made many passengers nervous.
In my observation the hunting is caused more by technique than "it's got auto throttle".

I believe that if the pilot was not flying with auto throttle, they would manage the approach so that as constant a power as possible was held whilst progressively configuring for landing, to minimise power/pitch couple changes. However, with auto throttle and auto pilot engaged, Bloggs doesn't have to worry about it, and some let the automatics take care of it.

I find that on the 717, reducing from 250 kias (with some descent power on) to 210 kias (Co. min clean), and then configuring as the desired speed is progressively reduced, keeps the power at idle until configured, and then there is one increase to maintain Vapp, not an increase as the machine captures the 4 speed targets with configuring.