PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC LHW-BOG route during 50s, 60s and 70s
Old 27th Feb 2009, 21:03
b377

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-BEBM Sir Robie Burns

You don't say why you want to know
ONE GREEN AND HOPING

Did you really fly BOAC Britannias to BOG ? Amazing, early 60s no doubt.

This exact plane brought me to the UK on 25 July 1979 ( 30 years this year). Never flew on a DC10 since. Think it went to Gemini cargo.
My father had accutally flown BCal to UK in March 79 just before the Chicago incident that grounded all DC10s. His return flight to BOG was in a BCal 707 but by July all DC10s were flying again.

As to why... well I saw so many BOAC BCal BA planes over the years coming into Bogota I thought it would be nice to see if real people actually flew those planes... and in passing to ask about what you thought of the local Navaids available to you in those days. Not sure if the 10 had a similar triple FMS INS systems as the 747 - just set in waypoints & relax until you captured the BOG ILS ?

As a pax was once in a BA 747 400 holding - waiting ATC thumbs up to land at BOG circling in cloud ( dark grey stuff at about 5:30 PM) didn't like it one bit just hopping that TCAS was working as it should and ATC knew what they were doing like keeping other traffic well away from us!

Last edited by b377; 27th Feb 2009 at 21:16.