PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 27th Feb 2009, 18:56
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
T4 Risen,

That is the whole point of what I have been saying, you remain couplerd up (if you haveone) and remains at 300 feet gradually redcuing airspeed to min 50 KIAS, until the "Ball" is called and confirmed by both crew, (this being the point where the visual refs from the deck are so strong that the chances subsequent inadvertant descent below the helideck is alsmost erradicated).

Both 332L2 and 225 have radalt Coupler functions to maintain height automatically. In my Company, we do not use the RADALT coupler as it has the potential to pull (in 4 axis mode) more power than permitted through the MGB.

Instead we use BARALT Coupler mode and adjust to QFF to match the radalt indications. None of this is either presrcibed or mandated in our procedures.

Most pilots try to use the coupler and fly an approach at night in a stabilsed fashion, and there are many different versions of Cat s Skin. This needs to be formally addressed and translated into sensible mandated procedure.

The reason for mandating procedures is to provide the monitoring pilot with clear guidance as to when intervention (either verbal warning or taking control) is necessary. This intervention should also be mandatory.

The lack of a clear mandate to do so, in extermis when the cockpit gradient is steep (new P2 - hairy old P1), is the direct contributing factor in the subsequent de-stabilistion of night approachs.

Most of the crews I flight with, and I am sure most of them that have not flown with, have had a bad experience at night that subsequently leads them to adopting greater discipline in the night flying techniques.

What needs to be done now is generate a collective will to make NS flying at night safe.