PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 27th Feb 2009, 18:20
Special 25

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't want to get into the whole night landings debate here - Thats for a different thread.

As to this incident, yes, will wait for a full clarification of the circumstances from someone who knows better. But a good discussion as to procedures offshore at night is essential, and I for one would encourage your 'gate position' approach. I think someone earlier said that maybe all night approaches should be of an ARA type. An approach that will spit you out at the right height, direction and speed to enable you to take over manually to complete the landing visually. I personally think that is over-kill on some nights, but then maybe we need that regulation to ensure that we aren't sucked into approaches with limited visual references that originally looked quite good.

I can confirm that Bond do indeed dual rate on the 332L2 and EC225 and not aware of any previous problem with that. I believe that CHC and Bristow do not. And whilst debate on the L2 and 225 operations are good, remember that some of us are still flying 332's, as well as Dauphins and S-76 A's.