PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 27th Feb 2009, 17:43
Special 25

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed and fair point. Believe me, I am the last one to be pointing any finger of blame on the crew, and whilst I guess a lot of crew room discussion over the past week or so has been along the 'Human Factors' line, I don't think I've heard a word of criticism.

We all know that night flying is a very complicated and difficult task, and my personal opinions on the subject are well documented on this forum. I don't know the full details of exactly how this accident occurred so I am concerned about speaking out of turn, but I gather that the crew were not conducting the approach as an ARA, but were making a visual approach. So the weather wasn't quite as bad as the 'complete fog' indicated by some, unfortunately drawing the crew into a visual approach when fog patches in the area were not visible. I believe as they got closer they started to lose visual references.

Surely someone present at the meeting can give a better synopsis of what was said, now that it is 'technically' public knowledge. Either way, I hope that we can all learn from the full facts when they are finally released by the AAIB and am encouraged by the apparent 'meeting of minds' between the three companies. Hopefully together they can work towards improving the operating procedures at night to make for a safer North Sea. Or, better still, cease with night operations offshore which still seem to be accounting for a disproportionate number of incidents, accidents and tragedies.