PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 27th Feb 2009, 17:37
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
DB

Generally I agree with what you say, for the 225 the best way to operate at night is to keep the automatics engaged, slow right down if not much wind (min coupled IAS 30kts) until you have the site picture (your rugby ball), only then disengage and fly the last bit manually - by then you are close to the destination so the visual references are better. That's what I teach.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say "no turning" - there is nothing wrong with turning either in heading hold, or with manual cyclic input, provided you are coupled in ALT and IAS.

But with no guidance from the manufacturer or the CAA, each Operator will have different procedures, some might be better than others.

Since Bond have both L2s (OK but not brilliant autopilot) and 225s and I think the crews are dual rated (?), perhaps they decided to have a common policy for use of the automatics, which would be less than optimised to the 225. One good reason why I have always maintained that dual rating on the various AS332L family members is not the safest way to do things, its only the most commercially expedient way.

HC