PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auto Throttles.
Thread: Auto Throttles.
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2009, 17:31
EpsilonVaz

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
On the last approach of a 4 sector day in gusty conditions, when you are told to "turn right heading 110degrees to establish on the localiser and intercept glideslope from above maintain 170kts to 5DME contact tower on 118.425 expect late landing clearence due to departing aircraft." You will be thankful for Auto Thrust, especially if you are a relatively inexperienced pilot like me.

On the note of system competence. I've only flown the A320 series, and unless its seriously gusty, it performs the job well. I don't think you can really judge how well the A/T is working by "sitting in the back". On approach, with A/T is engaged, it's SOP to keep your hand (left hand for me) on the Levers.

Unlike the Boeing, when the A320 is in A/T, the levers don't actually move, I found this quite strange at first, but quicky adapted. N1 is displayed on the upper ECAM, and airspeed on the PFD. The levers don't directly control the airpeed, so I'm not quite sure of the benifit of having your hands on moving levers and that being related to knowing your airspeed. You can "feel" and "hear" the aircraft engine power, which is an added bonus, but really, all of the information you need is provided to you in an efficient scan.

I don't think it's being "taken away", as on many days I enjoy a manual thrust approach, it's my choice. At the end of the day I must judge how much mental capacity I have, and if it is safe to take a particular course of action.

EpsilonVaz

Last edited by EpsilonVaz; 27th Feb 2009 at 18:10. Reason: typo