PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auto Throttles.
Thread: Auto Throttles.
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2009, 16:18
DC-ATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Throttles.

Auto Throttles.

In the thread on the Turkish Airlines accident, there is a lot of discussion on auto throttles during the approach phase. I've never flown an aircraft with auto throttles, but have ridden in the back when they've been used. How do I know? The engines were forever 'hunting' to maintain speed. Most annoying. I could tell it made many passengers nervous.

When you guys/gals have the auto throttles engaged, what do you do with your right/left hand? Seems to me, without having your hand on the throttles, attention could be drawn away from your airspeed and just what the engines are doing. Seems like there's just too much reliance on auto throttles to perform the task that pilots have done themselves since the Wright Brothers.

But, I imagine all aircraft produced now-a-days come 'standard' with auto throttles. Is that right? I just think it's sad that more and more tasks are being taken away from the pilot leading to more and more problems. Next step is the drone for passenger carrying aircraft. Don't laugh.

OK.....let's hear how "ancient" my thoughts on this are.