PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SCMP article re: local v expat terms
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2009, 15:45
Mullah Lite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceman 50

Yes I do, though I do not have kids myself and wouldn't be an authority on how the education allowance system can be manipulated, but I do know of expats sending their children to local schools. I'm not a tax expert so I wouldn't have the first notion of how to hide the numbers. I'll be the first to admit that someone else would be better equipped to explain that one.

Fooey, you're not the only one getting frustrated at the arguments here. Both sides are hitting each other's brick walls.

<Mullah, if you think cadets, initially, are held to the same standards as direct entries then you are smoking way too much crack, and on that subject, Cadets are not equal in that they are not eligible for command, under KA guidelines for around 7 years ( 7yrs x 700 hrs ) whereas a direct entry pilot is usually eligible after a year.>

Ok, well, you've said the operative word yourself: initially. If you think that a local FO or CMNDR checked to the same standards as you deserves less than you get, and I've emphasised especially when they get their command, then in all fairness, you are the one smoking crack. Interesting point about a 6 year discrepancy between cmnd eligibility at KA. FYI a similar though less severe comparison happens in CX whereby a cadet enters as a grade C S/O whereas a DE guy enters as grade B, i.e. the cadet has at least another year in the SO position than someone who is DE. But by the time they all QL, I give the C&T department here at CX enough credit that they are checking to a minimum standard to line, regardless of background. In none of my arguments previously have I tried to convey that cadets don't have to work to get to the same standard as anyone else and that this takes time. But eventually, it does happen. Or they Cat D. And when all dues are paid, they are on a level playing field. That's all.

<Mullah, you complain that some of your questions are not answered and happily skip over the fact that Cadets have ZERO financial risk, OK they may not have a gauranteed job but they do not fork out upwards of 700,000HKD and have to worry about living expenses. Do you think our Mummies and Daddies supported us during our training ? No, well who then. ( OK, I do concede a few would have had mum and dads support )>

Zero financial risk.... I have a differing opinion about it, so would the breadwinning guys (albeit few) who've had to be away from their wives and give up their jobs to take the risk of passing the course, and contrary to what you say I've been over this point before, and the only way I can perhaps take on a different perspective is by quantifying the discrepancy in income at the end of a local's career and an expat's one. I do not believe this is an appropriate forum to publish the numbers since it is public for any joe schmoe to read, but if you choose to do them yourself when you have a moment and are feeling bored, tell me if you really don't think an initial 700 000 HKD injection pales in comparison to the end result of your calculations. I'll give you a hint: you end up making literally double in pocket what a local makes. So once again, and now I direct the question at you, since you've so happily volunteered to answer it: is that fair?