PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2009, 15:24
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
I posted the following and C.C.C said the first part was correct but the next two lines were incorrect. I wish to correct those two lines with additional information.

Engineering error....frozen bolt found but not removed....nut replaced and aircraft released for flying. The item was due time change in nine hours of flying but failed on the next flight. The aircraft crashed into a canal or river and sunk immediately. Survivors did an underwater escape to get out of the aircraft.
The corrected version of events follows:

A National Engineer was tasked to conduct a scheduled 25 hour drive link inspection and when he could not remove the bolt reported that to the Expatriate Engineer in Charge (Deputy Chief Enginner).

That Expat Engineer attempted to drive the bolt out of the link, was only able to get it to move about a quarter of an inch. He along with a second engineer agreed to drive the bolt back into position, replaced the nut, installed the safety lock and then released the aircraft for service. The explanation given was the scissors and sleeve were very close to time change.

To replace the drive link would have taken about an hour with no need for tracking.

Subsequent to the fatal crash, at some point there was a change of Chief Engineer at the base (reason unknown to me) and within his first two weeks on site was approached by a delegation of local employees who had friends killed on the aircraft and who knowing of the bolt problem felt a proper investigation of that should be carried out.

The Lagos based Engineering Manager conducted an interview with the Expat Engineer involved after being informed of the situation by the new Chief Engineer at the base. This occurred approximately six months after the event. The Engineer departed Lagos very soon afterwards.

So...C.C.C., is this version meet your approval?

For the lack of an hours work Monty and some passengers died.

Until confronted with the truth the culpable individual hid his mistake and bad judgement....as did the second engineer. What I wonder is how did the investigators miss the fact very recent work had been done on that particular bit that failed? Who did the investigation? Is there a record of that at Redhill these days?