PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experienced pax vs very experienced CC seatbelt thread
Old 27th Feb 2009, 12:38
panda-k-bear
Bear Behind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a good little sheep, usually, and I keep my belt loosely fastened at all times (flaps, I think, may remember me of old and knows me to be a FF with her airline as well as being an aviation professional).

But here's a question that's not so hypothetical - this was me last Friday.

Imagine, if you will, being in a bit of a hell-hole for a week and eating something which seriously disagrees with you - over a couple of days. Not serious enough to stop you from flying but serious enough that you're glad that the loo is nearby and that you have a pressing need, several times during the flight, to visit it . I shall be no more graphic than that.

The return flight, where one experiences this repeated pressing need, is on one of flaps' finest, brand spanking new 777-300ERs and has a duration of almost 14 hours (I think flaps may now also be able to identify the route!). Of course, the routing takes us close - very close - to the Himalayas. And we all know what happens there, don't we?

Ping! FS on. Rattle, bang, shake. Rattle, rattle, bang shake. Drop 100 feet. Climb 100 feet. One pretty cc grabs a door on the galley as we drop. This goes on for aboot 30 mins. No biggie. FS sign on for another 20 mins without turbulence, though I know full-well, after having plied this route a dozen times over the last 18 months that it could return. But I have to use the loo. And I mean I REALLY have to use the loo. No nervous reaction. More a reaction to that dodgy chicken... what do I do?

Mrs flaps, you know I wouldn't want to upset your crew but I HAVE to go. NOW. And the FS signs on.

In that situation, I took the risk. Was I right? I don't really think I had a choice (luckily I was in 1F so I could reach the lav wall from my seat! I had something to grab on to the whole way). Don't shout at me Mrs flaps! I'm sorry!!!

Oh, and we can all predict when turbulence will come, btw... The very best turbulence detector is linked directly to the moment that hot coffee is being served. Never fails!

p-k-b