PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experienced pax vs very experienced CC seatbelt thread
Old 27th Feb 2009, 11:45
VS-Toga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F3G

I find you post fascinating.

As luck would have it, I've today attended a motivational thing run by Eddie Jones, the former Aussie rugby Coach.

They talked about creating a shared vision that catalysed behavioral environments within a team, and allowed, within certain prescribed boundaries, people's initiatives to flourish within an agreed fashion.

They also talked about responsibility, when to accept and execute it personally, when to delegate it and how people execute their responsibility differently under pressure. I found this very interesting as, apparently, when under pressure, I personally will revert totally to a relying on a factual approach supported by process (in other words, I completely move out of an interest in relationships, creativity or futures, into my left brain, and could not give a damn if people are upset as long as the right outcome is achieved.)

I found it very interesting, and, it certainly opened my eyes, whether PF or PnF, as to how to try and forge the best possible team relationships, to dispose of institutional heirarchy, and that, for me, extends past the crew and into including the pax as part of the greater team ethic, and trying to influence their (pax) behavior by positively recruiting them into 'our' team and sharing the consequences of their actions to them, rather than taking a more directive approach.

Does that all make sense? I have flown with Pacific Blue in Aus as pax and found their approach very similar to that outlined above and it worked.

The other interesting point re positive and negative motivation that came out of the talk was this- in the UK, there's a £100 penalty for filing a late tax return. Despite this, only 30-odd% are filed on time. In the US, there's a $100 bonus for getting it in on time- they have a greater than 70% success rate.

Telling, eh?

Last edited by VS-Toga; 27th Feb 2009 at 18:41.