PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2009, 11:18
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the mods might look at merging the "forgive me for asking a stupid question" thread onto this one.

I know not what experience the poser of that question has or whether it was planted in light of the very interesting thread that is running on the tragedy of the PHI S76 into the GOM.

But he certainly has got an answer or two, and in the same vein as that of Ascend Charlie's answer, to be seen in this thread.

Whether it was planted or not, and in conection to the PHI S76 disaster, one must question as to whether the passengers on any helicopter would feel safer with the pilots wearing good helmets, especially if they be plying the same flight lanes as that of the heavy feathered varieties.

I certainly would if I were a passenger in that area.

I don't know how many feathered types ply the North sea routes but at the coastal sections there must be a few, most times of the year and I gather that not all of those flights are at nose bleed altitude.

Although all NS windsceens would be the stronger glass to cope with the cold, cold ice I guess.

Twice I have hit galahs (approx 400 - 500 grams) at eighty knots dead centre in a G5 and they bounced off each time. One bloke got an eagle through his 3B1 bubble one day, but I would hate to be any faster, or in a Robinson with the same test.