PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2009, 04:24
Markle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Info in pictures

I'm surprised nobody has done this yet, but here goes. I can eliminate some of the huffing and puffing and speculating over distances with a couple of maps I drew together in Google Earth and some pointers to photos with landmarks. The maps are plan view (0° tilt) and I checked them against some known landmarks(independently verified to 0.001 minute GPS precision) for heading and distance.

TC-JGE Crash Overview Orientation is South UP (180°) How do I know this is where? It's on the front page of Schiphol's website. "...along the A9 motorway near the Rottepolderplein in the village of Haarlemmerliede." Rottepolderplein is the name of the motorway junction of A9/A200/N205. At the top is the apron of 18R with a 747 on short final providing scale. At the bottom, a red aircraft labeled "Nose" representing the crash site. The line is coming from the row of trees lining the edge of the field and is approx. 220m long. The crash site is 1950m from the top of the piano keys.

TC-JGE Crash site. Orientation is runway heading (183°) Important landmarks: Berm in middle of field, Barn/house just North of East, House to SE, A9/A220 junction to NW with road signs, Zwanenburgdijk crossing at South, Same line.

Other measurements: Trees to berm 235m, Across field to storage site with a bunch of (shipping containers?) 455m, To next set of trees 560m. With the exception of the last, these only get longer if he's on a heading to encroach on 18C, otherwise they're shorter.

The Fire Brigade at Schiphol has the best set of pictures on the ground. Good for determining the position of the aircraft in the field.

Also important to this is the video available on YouTube, the police helicopter video. It's not as good as the original from nos.nl, but the mods deleted the post with that link. The eye catches the movement of regular features like the divot the tail carved in the mud. Looks like about 2 1/2 plane lengths to stop. Screenshots Oblique and full views show that foreshortening via telephoto isn't much of an issue for guesing relative distance.Far view from other side shows relationship to road where trees are and berm with helos for additional scale.

With this large image of engines with route signs in background and this pic which shows the port engine (the one with the trashed cowling) with the SE house in the background we can sort of triangulate where they ended up.

BTW Here's the pic where the rescue squad got into the cockpit. It doesn't look like the roof is hacked any more than it was with the piece of support popping out. It does look like the cockpit and first class acted like a ground anchor. That's what, 5 feet of crush and 10 feet out of alignment?