PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - large jets straight from frozen atpl?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2002, 11:39
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 212 Likes on 78 Posts
No, you should pay more attention to detail. I said MOST of the BACE redundancies will come from crew moving to the main line or retiring.
I was under the impression that BACE crews could not move to mainline for many years. Practically many could not afford to leave the regions and go to the bottom of the seniority at Gatwick or Heathrow - even if they were recruiting there. Retirements are ficticious. If the company were staying stangnant they would need to promote up a FO to replace the retiring Skipper. As they are contracting they will not do that. The net effect for Joe Wannabe is the same. No job advert in Flight to apply to. Also don't believe the "retired" pilots just toddle off to prune the roses - many in fact most will take up contract work or join the low cost airlines for a few years to top up the pension.

And it's hardly a great deal in the general sceme of things, is it?
I never said it was. Its just another blow just as people were starting to think there would be no more redundancies.

The BA cadets who were given posts in January/February with BACE after completing their training have been assured that their jobs are safe, so IF redundancies were obligatory, would they not be the first to go?
No becuase they work for BA Mainline and are seconded to BACE. Which causes some consternation I can assure you. I would be interested to see any written Balpa recognised assurance the cadets have been given. I hope redundancies will not be obligatory. I fear that by making pilots move bases the upheavel will result in some leaving the company of their own accord to follow vacancies elsewhere - thus avoiding expensive redundancy packages. It is truly a harsh commercial world out there these days

Cheers,