PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turning inbound in the holding pattern
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2009, 01:22
wish2bflying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of tolerances inbound on the hold?

I was going to start a new thread but realised this kind of follows on from the previous ... hey look moderators, I used the search facility

So this is the scenario ...

In the sim, not a check ride but student mutual without instructor present ... VOR approach, VOR/RMI, no DME or GPS, 10kt crosswind at holding altitude. No other "traffic", no ATC.

SA is lost on the turn inbound in the holding pattern due bank angle, with the result that the aircraft has slid out to the right of inbound track far enough that the CDI bar is hard left, and the pilot gives up trying to intercept. The RMI needle starts to indicate passing abeam of the station, but he has no indication other than gut feel of how far away the a/c is from the station. In fact, the CDI bar never disappeared, so the a/c was actually far enough to be outside the zone of confusion.

The pilot elects to set the CRS needle on the VOR outbound track, alters course for a 30° intercept and starts the clock. Not long afterwards, the outbound track is intercepted, pilot leaves MSA and continues the approach per the plate.

So ... is this a complete non-event? I was taught that if you are that far outside tolerances inbound in the hold, you are effectively not in the hold anymore and you need to plan to enter the missed approach, manoeuvreing to set up another sector entry to either pass overhead and go straight outbound, as described earlier in this thread, or enter another holding pattern if you want to.

In my reading of AIP:
An aircraft which is not required to hold or lose height in a holding pattern may commence the approach without entering the holding pattern if:
b. in any airspace, for procedures using navaids:
3) the en route track to the procedure's commencement fix or facility is within 30° either side of the first track of the procedure ...
Now, this is describing not holding, but the principle should apply, surely?

Besides good airmanship, is this legal? It was in the sim, so nothing to get excited about, but if it were in the real thing ... ?

Comments?

If I've confused myself and you with anything I've written above, please ask me before launching into a PPRuNe rant ...

Also, if anyone has links to the ICAO material mentioned by LeadSled, could you provide them as I could only find this one ... http://www.icao.int/icaonet/dcs/9750/index.html, which is clearly not what he's talking about.