PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 23:34
C.C.C.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odds & Ends

To finish off my contribution some odds & ends.

In 1985 I carried out my 212 conversion mainly on the 'Desert Fox' G-BCMC at Aberdeen, but completed it at North Denes. G-BJJP at North Denes in 1985.

During a quiet period at the Redhill FTS in 1991 Bob Evans and I did some 212 line flying at North Denes. G-BJJO shutdown offshore, probably on one of the Leman platforms.

Tim Collins reluctantly handing the cup over to the Bond Helicopters Captain after they beat the Bristow team at cricket.

Got involved with getting several 212s at Redhill ready for export to new ventures, but watched most of them depart as well.

VR-BIJ departing Redhill. Forgotten its destination (think it was some short term contract prior to Nigeria).

G-BGLL departing for Nigeria.

Had forgotten about this one, and it is not too clear what it is about from the photo. However does bring back some FTS history.

In April 1990 the Redhill FTS celebrated 30 years. As I was duty instructor we devised a suitable but fictitious flying program. Before 09:00 we have Alan Boswell carrying out practice formation flying although I see he was not allocated a ship in the subsequent flypast. At 15:30 we have a champagne reception, followed by the 7 ship flypast. Cannot remember how this program went down with George & Derek at the time.

However the programme in the middle was real, and the names for history purposes -

Instructors - George Bedford (Principal), Derek Jones (CFI), Alan Boswell, Paul Quick, Gordon Hewitt, Ian McDonald & Chris Cairns. Steve Menham & Dick Whidborne (AAIB, ex Bristow) on Instructors course.

Students - Jonathon Binnie, Dave Reid, Tim Pennington, Tim Rolfe, Robert Trives, Eric Swaffer, Ainsley Boodoosingh, Brian (?) Fitzpatrick, James Liebers & Obi Nwana.

I had the privilege to teach some students on the Slingsby T67C G-BLRF.

Hmm. As it is my only R22 photo I had to think long about posting this one. If a Can of Worms progresses it will be deleted from this posting.

The ill fated R22 Beta G-BOEY. In 1990 it suffered a hard landing following an engine off demonstration, which severed its tail boom. Was Rebuilt. In 1994 it rolled over during a hover engine off. Again Rebuilt. In 1997 it was written off during night flying sadly with the loss of the solo student (RIP). I was Duty Instructor that evening hence my hesitance to post it here.

And to finish off something completely different. Did Bristow have a Canal Boat?

Indirectly Yes. In the British & Commonwealth days we had access to some unique holiday opportunities. Hidden amongst the list of various Holiday Homes, Villas, etc. was this canal boat 'Narrow Squeak' which was based at Braunston. It was a very well equipped boat, and really cheap for us compared to a boat of similar spec available to rent by the public.