PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 22:20
snoozer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a SLF only; I have been thinking about this accident and there is one strain of thought that concerns me; so I wanted to run it passed the professionals to see your views.

If an aircraft is flying along at high altitude on 1013mb and is then landing at an airfield with a higher pressure setting of 1027mb (for instance) but for some reason the altimeter is not set to the airfield setting; wouldn't the aircraft then be 420' (14 x 30') lower than the pilots thought it was?

In the Turkish airlines crash; I've read that the aircraft should have been at about 355' altitude at the crash site if it were on a normal approach.

So.... IF the aircraft were 420' lower than it should have been and then the pilots became visual with the ground after breaking cloud, and the picture wasn't what they expected, wouldn't they initiate a go-around? I've also been reading that the B737-800 can be a bit tricky in a go-around with pitch and thrust; so isn't this a good precursor for a stall? If the go-around were initiated from 420' below the normal flight path (that would be about 2-3km back from normal?) wouldn't a failed go-around and stall then put them about at the crash site?

Food for thought or just talking out my A**e?