PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frankfurt ATC
Thread: Frankfurt ATC
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2001, 17:23
MAVERICK 1

Talking

Andy Pandy,
You are completely right. You missed the fact that that put you 25nm out on the ILS with a 50knot headwind and ask you to reduce to minimums it takes 15mins on the approach alone! The problem is that unlike LHR, FRA like most airports in europe works on one principle:NEPOTISM!!!!!
Luftansa always seems to get what they want,surprise suprise, so they will never complain and if they dont complain nothing will ever be done.

In short european airfields ar a law unto themselves and they don't care about foreign carriers!!!

One way I found helped is ask for 25R with director and my experience is is that in about 75% you will get it.

As far as the 2000fpm rate goes I don't have a clue all I know is that it is rife all over Germany. They always descend you about 40nm before you want to go down at a rate you don't want to go down at invariably putting you in icing. I heard a rumour that it is something to do with how German airspace is divided up for ATC. Their approach control start quite a long way out at relatively low levels so for them to hand you over you need to be a quite a low level.

Why if this is indeed the reason they dont change it I have not got a clue?!

If any does have an answer I would be grateful to know as well!!!