PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frankfurt ATC
Thread: Frankfurt ATC
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2001, 03:34
AndyPandy

Post Frankfurt ATC

ATC 1

Just been to Frankfurt this evening. We are descended early as usual (no problem with fitting in with operational necessity) but now it seems routine in Germany that a descent rate of 2000' a minute is demanded as well! Any suggestions why this should be?

ATC 2

I have been lucky to experience flying all around the world. Like SOPs I agree that no one way of operating is right for everybody but I am always puzzled when faced with a situation like this evening going into Frankfurt. ATIS was advising of strong winds at 5000' (I think) and of moderate icing at low level. We were stepped down in 1000' steps from FL80 downwards. We were vectored 25+ miles down wind picking up ice the whole time and then given a tight turn onto the 25R ILS with a 40 knot tailwind. The controller then got upset because we shot through the localiser with 30 degrees of bank on! I have a high regard for LHR (purely from experience) anyway but had we been faced with the same amount of traffic at LHR that FRA was experiencing we would of been put in the hold at say FL80 (above the icing) told to expect a 5 minute delay and then when leaving the hold been given a more or less continuous descent to the ILS. So much less stressful for all. At FRA the landing runway is kept secret until quite late and how far one will go downwind is a closely guarded secret as well. I know which system I prefer.

Comments anybody?