PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 19:10
fyrefli
The Analog Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As no-one else has provided the requested re-translation of van Vollenhoven's original Dutch, I've done some reading of a few Dutch news sites. I've not found anywhere referring to stalled engines - but then I don't think anyone here thinks that was an accurate translation anyway!

I've roughly translated the following article - disclaimer - I am English but lived in Holland for five years and, unlike many, actually did bother learning the lingo to a reasonable degree!:

nu.nl/vliegramp schiphol | 'Toestel viel letterlijk uit de lucht'

"Volgens Pieter van Vollenhoven heeft de bemanning van het Turkse vliegtuig dat woensdag bij Schiphol neertstortte, geprobeerd zo lang mogelijk in de lucht te blijven."

According to Pieter van Vollenhoven the crew of the Turkish aircraft that crashed at Schiphol on Wednesday tried to stay in the air as long as possible.

''Maar als je dan snelheid verliest, dan val je letterlijk uit de lucht. Het toestel heeft ook geen lang spoor in het weiland getrokken'', aldus de voorzitter van de Onderzoeksraad voor Veiligheid in het NOS Journaal.

Quote: "But if you then lose speed, you literally fall out of the sky. The plane also didn't leave long tracks in the ground (literally meadow)." according to the Chairman of the Safety Investigation Committee / Council in NOS Journaal (one of the main Dutch TV News Programmes).

Van Vollenhoven en enkele andere deskundigen van de raad hebben de plek des onheils woensdag bezocht en zijn hun onderzoek begonnen.

Van Vollenhoven and various other advisors / experts visited the scene of the accident on Wednesday and begun their investigation.

Daar trof Van Vollenhoven een dermate grote ravage aan, dat hij ''zeer verrast'' is dat het aantal doden woensdagavond nog beperkt was tot negen.

Van Vollenhoven found there such a scene of carnage (can't quite get the nuance of ravage right myself, I'm afraid) that he is "very surprised" that the number of dead was still only 9 on Wednesday evening.

De voorzitter van de Onderzoeksraad voor Veiligheid zei in het tv-programma NOVA dat de vliegers van het toestel verpletterd zijn, toen een instrumentenpaneel achter hun rug de cockpit binnen kwam.

The leader of the Safety Investigation Committee / Council said in the TV programme NOVA that the flight crew met their death when an instrument panel came into the cockpit from behind their backs. (Note: that's what it says - "behind their backs" and "came into the cockpit"; please don't shoot the messenger!)

De oorzaak was het plotselinge afremmen van het toestel in de modder, aldus Van Vollenhoven.

According to Van Vollenhoven, the reason for this was the sudden deceleration of the fuselage in the mud.

Last edited by fyrefli; 26th Feb 2009 at 19:14. Reason: Missed a bit...