PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hudson survivors may Sue US Airways
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 14:17
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some people seem to be just money orientated....
Who ?

The people that run the business?
The people that run the insurance company that insures said business?
The People travelling with said business who are covered by that business?
The employees of the business?
The businesses who may seek reimbursement for their part in the rescue and recovery.
The component manufacturers (insurers) who the insurance companies will seek alleiviation from?
The manufacturers who will be seeking to supply a replacement product?

Or do you simply mean passengers who may have suffered trauma or loss seeking individual or group action to recover from the same insurance companies?

If I have a car accident driving to work, I am entitled to seek loss recovery from the insurance company I contract with. That is the risk business they are in, and what they charge (and I pay) large premiums to protect against.
I am sure these people are grateful to be alive, however the circumstances they found themselves in and any trauma or loss they suffered as a result is likely to be covered by the carriers insurers. To effect their third party claims may well involve a lawsuit. That is the way these things work, it doesn't mean this particular aircraft was full of ungrateful shirkers seeking to better themselves by the incredibly small likelyhood of surviving a completely unpremeditated accident.

It is worth bearing in mind that when somebody suffers a loss or trauma, nothing ever puts back that loss. The only thing that is ever offered is money. Nobody usually apologises or accepts responsibility. They ultimately might discharge their obligation with a cheque. For many victims this is far less than they really want, but will be the only thing that is ever put on the table. Unless you have been in this unfortunate position it is probably difficult to really comprehend.