PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Streak Shadow
Thread: Streak Shadow
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 12:58
White Shadow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Streak Shadow

When I got interested in microlights as a change from light aircraft., I called on Fiona Luckhurst at the Shadow Flight Centre, Old Sarum, who was very friendly and helpful.
She had for sale a nice low-hours CD, with closed trailer, and suggested a trial flight. I was amazed at the way it leapt off the ground - though the subsequent climb rate dropped back quite soon - and the way it responded to the sensitive sidestick control. On my quite high approach, throttling back gave a steep descent, and a touch of power let me flare and put it down on a sixpence. I was hooked. Bought it, trailered it back to Dunkeswell, and subsequently flew it all over the country (after fitting a long-range belly tank, which it really needed for cross-country flying). As others have said, a panoramic view from the front seat, but not much room and noisy in the back. Needs care taxying over bumpy ground, and the pusher-propeller tips are vulnerable to loose chippings, so throttle back and let it coast over them every time.
The wings stow on their leading-edges against the sides of the trailer, and the fuselage and boom are pushed up a short ramp formed by the hinged-down rear trailer-door.
It's a very well designed package, and the Streak Shadow is very similar, with a much improved performance from the larger engine and shorter wings - so not a microlight .