PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 26th Apr 2002, 08:44
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whirlybird
I had no difficulties.
The only minor problems were holding for quite a long time before the Mil controllers answered VHF calls, and understanding them when they did!
There's a Marine Corps base on the coast at Camp Pendleton. No problems being cleared through when I was there, but they are America’s "9-1-1 Force In Readiness" so you'll need to make sure things haven't changed. Lots of interesting helicopters to see, if you like mil helicopters!
The restricted area is a nuclear power station on the coast line not far from Camp Pendleton. I can't remember the name (San Something!), and I haven't got US charts to hand, but it was no problem at all.

When you speak to the Mil as you approach San Diego, get clearance to fly out to Point Loma (easily identified).
When you get to Point Loma, tell the controller you want to route to Downtown, crossing at the Coronado Bridge. (Enormous bridge you can't miss as a nav point.) The Mil controller obtained clearance for me from San Diego International and then handed me over. SD Int are more helpful than many small UK airfields.) Don't be afraid to explain you're sightseeing, say you want to follow the coastline north and they'll help if they can. The only slight problem is you'll probably have to stay low level. (Don't you just hate that!!! )
You'll see the US Navy mothball fleet at Coronado and the Coronado Hotel, a very distinctive old red rooofed building used by Edward and Mrs Simpson.
As you cross the harbour towards downtown San Diego, the view is stunning and, as you fly back up the coast, you'll fly over a series of beautiful bays.

Some instructors in the LA/Long Beach area will tell you the coastline route to San Diego is too difficult because "like you have to speak to the military and all that". Don't listen to them. It can be done and it's worth it. Southern Cailifornia is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and San Diego is the jewel in the crown.

If you have time to visit San Diego (recommended), then Montgomery Field is the obvious choice but, if you just need fuel, then Palomar a smaller friendly airport on the coast near Carlsbad is much easier than going over to Montgomery which is off route, a major GA airfield and can be very busy.

Woops! Just seen the time. Off to Court.
'Enjoy' as some of our American friends say!

Tudor

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 26th Apr 2002 at 09:18.