PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - Forthcoming ATSOCAS changes
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 09:47
Billy Goat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whowhenwhy
I wonder how many of you 'chaps' are pilots and actually fly on a regular basis in 'red indian territory'?? I do.
Reading through all the threads, it appears that there are quite a few 'desk pilots' who maybe don't appreciate what it's really like in said territory. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
Some people need to wind things back and look at the basic concept of the term Visual Flight Rules...VFR. When you fly VFR in the open FIR it is a 'see and be seen' enviroment, ie. You stay in VMC so you can keep yourself away from other aircraft, cloud, terrain and obstructions.....and on top of that you keep a B****Y GOOD LOOKOUT! If a controller then gives us some traffic info.(no matter how it's derived) that he or she CONSIDERS its relvant, any pilot worth their salt, will be gratefull for the 'heads up' on it (this is generally what happens now, BUT, we should appreciate that it is subject to the controller's workload...AND DON'T EXPECT IT ALL THE TIME!).
This business of 'blurring' the service with a FRIS, really is aload of joke,
.....all I can find is FIS, RIS and RAS in the books, no mention of FRIS?? However, what we are getting is a FIS and traffic info. as a BONUS BUT NOT EXPECTING ALL THE TIME, this is the point that any educated pilot should appreciate, and if he/she does'nt this is where the weakness lies and with not the controller.
In my experience, I have had absolutely no problems with the proffesional service over 30 years of flogging around the FIR, with both the civil and military guys....you do a good job and sometimes under alot of pressure